40Days to transform my life!

Feel like you are letting yourself down? Know you can do better but aren't sure how? Make great resolutions but don't follow through? Sounds just like me. Which is why I am resolving to commit 40Days to making a lasting difference to my life, insha Allah. This blog is the online home of my personal 40Day Challenge - you can join me or simply follow my progress (or lack of it!).

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A blog too soon



Bismillah

Ok, after a 'hiatus' (more like a full stop and a coma, yes the spelling is accurate!), I am back (I hope).
Prompted by some manic Facebook activity and an interview slot on Huda TV, I have returned to my Flying Niqabi blog like a long-lost sheep (and yes, I do feel sheepish...)

The Shaykh who was present for most of the show was talking about marrying our children while they are young, even if that means we have to support them, have them live with us etc. because the fitnah that awaits them out in the streets, without the protection of marriage is great and too few parents pay attention to these things in their blind rush to see their children armed with degrees, high paying jobs and a one-way ticket to the top of the career ladder - boys and girls.

This means that Muslims in Muslim countries are delaying marriage until their late 20s, early 30s - and we see the societal effects of that everywhere.
But then he mentioned that, in Yemen, people get married young, I mean really young, like 12, 13 year old.

It was at this point in the discussion that I began to feel distinctly uneasy. My Islamic consciousness battled with my rationale as I listened to all the brothers agreeing that, yes, early marriage was a protection, was preferable, was the Sunnah etc. I panicked for a moment, thinking, 'I should not be here, in this discussion, right now.'

But, it was at that moment that the presenter began to introduce me and I realised I would have to say something. Would I dare challenge the Shaykh's view, would it be right to do so? Did I have any evidence for my opinion?

I took a deep breath and uttered a brief 'bismillah' before the presenter 'passed me the mic'.
I tried to compose my thoughts and sound as calm and unemotional as possible. I think, in all, I made the following points:

I started by saying that, in the West, we have seen the fruits of women and men delaying marriage in order to build their careers first. I thought of the many articles and studies I had read, in particular this one from the Atlantic in the States. And I said that that is one extreme.
- But, on the other hand, we must realise that, while the moral and social benefits of earlier marriage are clear and are supported by Islam, 'early marriage' is a relative term. The caller who rang in and said that she had her daughters married 'really young' was referring to them being 17, 18, 19. The Shaykh's definition of young was 12, 13. I said, to those of us raised in the West, 12, 13 year olds are still children.

While in most traditional societies, and certainly during the time of the Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam, reaching puberty meant you were ready for adult responsibilities, our youth, while being afforded many freedoms once they reach their teen years, are not brought up to take on adult responsibility at that time. This is mainly due to the influence of modern (aka Western) ideas about adolescence. The classic example being, they can have sexual relations from 16 (and are now sexually active at 11, 12) but are still considered 'too young' to get married.

So, my point is this: what 14 year old boy, brought up in modern society, is ready to get married and, by extension, start a family? He is not a man! HE IS NOT A MAN! Would you happily entrust your daughter to one of these boys who is still into playing computer games and hanging out at the mall? I could hear the brothers agreeing (I think!)

The presenter offered that different societies had different interpretations of what constitutes an early marriage. But still the Shaykh insisted: "Even if I have to support my son financially, have him and his wife stay with me, I must protect him from the fitnah that awaits him on the street as a young man. The same applies to my daughter."
He spoke more about how families should be facilitating these marriages, rather than forcing the young people to wait until they have fulfilled criteria that have no basis in Islam.

And do you know what, the more he spoke, the more I began to like the idea of my sons having a 'little wife' at 18, so that they can grow together, go on adventures together, travel, learn, see the world, protecting each other. Ahhh, what a sweet set-up.

But still, I had questions for the Shaykh: what about setting a condition in the contract that the girl finish her education, what about using birth control until she has completed her studies.
Hey, i had to ask! If you're talking about getting married at 16, even if you have an agreement that you will finish school, once the babies start coming, and for most Muslims they inevitably do, that schooling is out of the window.
Not to mention the fact that many young girls don't really know what they want out of life and, by extension, what kind of husband they would like. Would they like to work, to study, to teach, to give da'wah, to be homemaker, to travel, to live abroad? These are questions she may not have the answers to but will be greatly affected by the type of man she marries.

The Shaykh was reluctant to give a fatwa right then and there but i believe he said something to the effect that, if this fear of getting pregnant is enough to stop her getting married earlier, it may be permissible for them to do this for a while.
Pheww.... that's that sorted.

But, to be honest, another thing that concerned me was that marriage was being spoken about purely in terms of fulfilling one's desires in a halal way. Ergo, if you are ready for sex, you are ready for marriage.
Is it really that simple?
I thought marriage was a relationship between two people, a relationship that requires a certain level of emotional maturity and a high degree of responsibility and patience.
I hate to think that the kind of silliness that takes place between preteens and teenagers who are dating would be duplicated inside a marriage!

I dearly wished we could have followed up the discussion but, unfortunately, the show came to an end and all my questions were left hanging in my mind.
So i decided I had to blog instead.

I suppose, for me personally, early marriage is in your late teens, early twenties. But more importantly, both parties have to feel ready, emotionally AND physically for that crazy, wonderful journey that is love and marriage.

So, although I entered the discussion with my heart pounding and my head spinning, I left it with a different viewpoint, a lot calmer - and a whole lot more questions!

Til the next time, Huda TV - if they ever let me on again, that is!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Naima, I understand what you say sister but to me you are still thinking like a "western" woman, and i can see the divide between the east and the west.I totally agree with the sheikh and would support my children boys and girls to get married if they feel that they need to.I know a lot of sisters even in the west who married at 14,15 and who are very happy and mature and never regretted one minute their choice.We as muslims should be down to earth and as women we have a duty to our society,this new phenomenon of having to "ponder" on wether we would like to become pilots,pshycologists or poets is clearly following in the footsteps of the disbieliving western women.Like waking up in the morning and staring at the mirror "right what will i wear today?" this idea to think "well what type of man do i want to marry???"is also a new idealistic blackhole which is sucking down so many of our sisters who are now reaching 30-35 years old and who still haven't found the "right" man and unfortunatly will never find.Any muslim sister need a pious brother with good manners and etiquettes who will take care of his familly.We have to detached our mind from the western mentality and understand the need of our children and yes so many are comitting haram, I see it with my own eyes...it is sad.If as mothers we raise our sons to understand that a girl is a priceless gift from Allah and that they have to sherish her and be ready to fullfill all his obligations towards his wife if he wants his own rights to be fullfilled then we would grow a nation of men not boys,same for our daughters prepare them to fully understand their role as wives and mothers give them Islamic knowledge and be their best friend.Islam is easy this life is easy it is us who makes it hard, Allah gave us the best way of life Islam we dont need anything else. jazakumullah khairan

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,

I feel your post assumes women in Muslim countries don’t ‘ponder’ about career paths. Unfortunately in many of these countries University Education is not free and if they don’t have the financial means they can’t go.

Marriage shouldn’t be just about whether the brother is pious (just because the Brother is at 18 it doesn’t mean he will be at 25) but also if the couples have things in common such as intellectual attainment ( I work in a male dominated industry and most of the guys hate the fact I’m smarter then them) and long term aspirations (If he wants to move to Saudi Arabia in 2 years but she wants to stay in Britain there will be problems).

Salam
K

Anonymous said...

Dear Naima,

I was introduced to you when reading From My Sister's Lips. Great read, thanks!

I disagree with this new notion that muslims should be married young. Marriage requires physical and emotional maturity to work. Nowadays, physical maturity precedes its emotional cousin by about 10 years. Few boys and girls are emotionally ready to handle marriage around 18. Another thing is that most parents who are happy to marry off their 18yr old girls do so to older men who have somewhat of an established career and with time, have acquired emotional maturity. So the boy might be ready for marriage but the girl certainly isn't. Very few parents are ready to marry off their 18yr old boy to a 16yr old girl. In this day and age, they really are just kids.

As for the idea that women have a role in this society and shouldn't ponder career paths, that's probably the worst sabotage we will bring upon muslim girls in this generation. I think in today's society, a good education is any person's safety net, especially for a girl. In reality, once youre married, your priorities change. Family comes first; the time allocated to studies (certainly for women) is lost. This is a society that needs intelligent professionals so why take the muslim girls out of it? Not all marriages last, what if she gets divorced or her husband dies? That muslim girl with kids will either have to get married to another financial provider or provide for her kids and with the meager education she received before marriage, she will not get a decent job.

I think this issue mainly comes down to parenting. We cannot expect kids from 2000A.D. to have the emotional maturity of kids in 700A.D. when these kids are being raised by largey western values, even in muslim countries. Sex is not the great fitnah, ignorance is. Give the kids ample love, understanding and teach them about consequences from a young age and you will provide the greatest protection from the fitnahs of society. Armed with an education, an ability to reason and the humility of muslims, these kids will be ready to marry in their early 20s and will be much better members of society than the proposed generation of school leavers getting married.

Apologies if my views have offended anyone.

Salam.

Anonymous said...

Anon from 2:59,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have seen in front of me the scenario where a girl is married off at a young age - 17, 18, without the chance of getting an education because she has to deal with 3 or 4 children. Then the husband dies/divorces her/goes to jail, and she is left alone to rely on charity to support her children, since she cannot get a job. Is this the way to strengthen the Ummah?

Are we bringing up our children so badly that we reduce them to mere animals, unable to control their desires? To say that a boy/girl of 18 faces too much 'fitna' and should be married as early as possible is, sorry to say, very naive. There are plenty of young Muslims out here who are resisting temptation - why? Because they had the correct upbringing with real Islamic values.

Naima is right when she says marriage is not just about fulfilling physcial desires. Marriage is a HUGE responsibility. It is the foundation of our society. No one in their right mind would build their society on weak foundations, and sorry to say, but the vast majority of teenagers today are not ready to handle those responsibilities.

We cannot react to one extreme (delaying marriage excessively) by going to another extreme. Truly ignorance is the greatest fitna of our times.

MASS said...

I never knew thwy interviewd women on huda TV!

Na'ima B. Robert said...

SubhanAllah! What an interesting discussion! I don't even know what to say except 'JazakAllahu khairan for responding with honesty'. This is a debate that will continue to rage - I have my views but others will have theirs due to their own understanding of the deen and eperiences.
I now tun a programme for Muslim girls in my home and I stand by my wish to see them grow as individuals and get to know themselves and their potential before taking on the responsibility of a family.
May Allah guide us all to the Straight Way.
Ameen!